Artist Requirements and Legal Agreement
2017-2018 Policies and Procedures
You are eligible to participate in the Martin County Open Studio Tour if:
- You live or have artist studio space within Martin County, FL and are a member of the Martin Arts Guild. Your application fee will be considered your membership.
- Your Open Studio Tour map location must be located within Martin County
- You create all the artwork yourself as original works
- You have a working email address
- You have paid all required fees by the respective deadlines
- You are a new or returning applicant meeting all of the above criteria and are successfully juried into the 2018 Tour
2. Open Studio Tour Hours
The Martin County Open Studio Tour will be held January 20-21, 2018. Hours will be 10:00am to 5:00pm on each day of the event. Artists must be present at their studio (shared or not) from 10:00am to 5:00 pm on both days of the event.
The above eligibility requirements are in place to ensure a successful and limited scope event. If any of these eligibility requirements are not met, you will be required to become compliant to participate and/or you may be prohibited from participation in future MCOST events. Refunds will NOT be provided to artists prohibited from participation due to non-compliance.
- Jury/ Application Fee: $15 (non-refundable/ Martin County Artist Guild Membership)
- Early Bird Fee (April 1- July 31, 2017): $200 per artist
- Registration Fee (Aug 1- Sept 15): $250 per artist
5. Entry Deadline:
Entry is limited to the first 100 applications received before midnight, local time, Sept 15, 2017.
6. Volunteer Hours
All Martin County Open Studio Tour artists are expected to volunteer to help make this event a success. Since we have NO paid staff, it is important for us to work together and share in the time and responsibilities required to keep the event viable. Please see the application for volunteer committee categories. If you are unable to commit to a minimum of 4 hours of volunteer time, you may pay a $50 Volunteer Opt-Out fee in advance.
7. Digital Image Requirements
- Submit 5 images of original work created within the last three years. Please adhere to the following requirements for digital images:
- Format: JPG
- Resolution: 300 dpi with 3000 pixels as dimension on long side
- Size: Not to exceed 2.0 MB for each image submitted
- Color Mode: RGB
- Important: Please Name your files as follows: first initial, followed by last name, then number each photo 1 through 5 (i.e. DFullmore2.jpg)
8. Licensing & Sales Tax
All Martin County Open Studio Tour artists must obtain any appropriate business licensing and a Florida resale certificate for the collection of sales tax. It is the responsibility of each artist to obtain the correct license(s) required in your location. All Martin County Open Studio artists are required to collect sales tax on all Open Studio sales. Payment of collected tax is the responsibility of each participating artist.
The Martin County Open Studio Tour does not provide insurance for your studio, or display venue, during the event. It is your responsibility to obtain liability insurance for your location/studio and, by participating, you agree to hold harmless the Martin County Open Studio Tour, any and all Sponsors of the MCOST event, and their respective boards/steering committees.
10. Cancellation Policies
This application is a commitment for juried artists to participate in the 2018 Martin County Open Studio Tour. We begin processing applications as they are received. The cancellation policy is as follows:
- Written cancellation requests received BEFORE the application deadline will receive a full refund of the application fee. Jury fees are not refundable.
- Written cancellation requests received AFTER the application deadline will receive no refund of application or jury fees.
11. Studios and/or Shared Spaces
- The preferred studio location is a creative workspace, not solely a retail space. Educational facilities are acceptable if at least one of the artists uses the facility as a workspace or performs demonstrations during the Martin County Open Studio Tour.
- If you plan to show in a shared space, each artist in that space must meet all of the eligibility guidelines and pay the designated fees. Gallery space may be used if the work of other artists (non- participants) is not displayed during any of the Open Studio Tour hours.
- Studios or creative workspaces should retain a working and creative environment. In addition to works for sale, we strongly encourage artists to display work in progress, demonstrate their creative processes, or show video or photographs of you working.
- We caution artists who work in a home studio located in a restricted access/gated community to contact their HOA board to discuss the Tour prior to registering.
If you do not have a studio space in which you can show, you may partner with another artist in their studio or creative workspace. You may also find an appropriate, accessible space to show your work.
12. Jurying Guidelines
- All applicants, must submit five high resolution images of their artwork to the jury panel. Submitted artwork must have been completed within the last three years.
- The jury panel will be comprised of current Steering Committee members, and judging will be blind.
13. Publicity and Exposure
- The Martin County Open Studio Tour will work to maximize the exposure and promotion of the 2018 event, based on funding available from participating artists’ fees, brochure ad sales, additional sponsorships, volunteer time, and participation of all artists. Funds will be expended, at a minimum, as follows:
- Printed brochure listing of artists, including a map of artist locations
- General promotional video
- Multiple press releases and promotional articles
- Participating artists are strongly encouraged to initiate their own individual marketing campaign.
14. Trademarks and Copyrights
- All artists must recognize and acknowledge the validity of any trademarks and/or copyrights and their ownership which may be used as part of the Martin County Open Studio Tour, including the exclusive right and jurisdiction of each participating entity to control the use of its trademarks and copyrights and to take all appropriate measures for their protection.
- Artists shall faithfully observe the use and protection of the trademarks and copyrights in their activities.
15. Signs and the Martin County Open Studio Tour Logo
- Each participating Martin County Open Studio Tour artist will be provided 2 signs to use during the event. If additional signs are needed, they can be purchased (from the committee).
- Martin County Open Studio Tour, and the Martin County Open Studio Tour logo, may not be used by non- participating artists, and may not be used during other times of the year than the weekend of the Martin County Open Studio Tour 2018.
Artist feedback is critical to the success of future Open Studio events. Any survey and all data submitted, which includes sales and visitor count will be anonymous. Participation in the survey requires that artists have access to the Internet. The survey results are shared with all participating artists. As a participant of the Martin County Open Studio Tour, you agree to complete the survey, if requested, after the event in 2018.
17. Collection of Demographics
Martin County Open Studio Tour desires to collect demographic and other information on our visitors each year. In order to accomplish this, we may request that studios collect basic information in order to facilitate the completion of a visitor survey. As a participant of the Martin County Open Studio Tour, you agree to collect names and email addresses at your studio for this purpose, if requested, and to turn this information in to the Post-Tour Organization Committee in a timely manner.
18. Grants and Rights
Each participating artist hereby grants Martin County Open Studio Tour fair use of all submitted photographs or images in any media for any purpose, which may include but not be limited to, advertising, public relations, promotion, marketing, and packaging for the Martin County Open Studio Tour programs and events. Artist releases Martin County Open Studio Tour and any sponsoring entity from all claims and liability relating to the use of the photographs/images associated with these events
A waiver by Martin County Open Studio Tour of a breach by the Artist of any provisions of this agreement shall not be deemed a waiver of future compliance with such provisions, as well as other provisions, and shall remain in full force and effect.
20. Hold Harmless
With full knowledge, comprehension and understanding, the Artist voluntarily accepts and assumes all risks involved in the participation in this event. In consideration of Martin County Open Studio Tour’s acceptance of the Artist’s participation, the Artist holds harmless and releases and forever discharges the Martin County Open Studio Tour and it’s sponsorship, from all liabilities for injuries and damages and costs of defense whatsoever.
21. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
The aforementioned items 1 through 21, and the Artist Application, constitute the entire agreement between the Artist and Martin County Open Studio Tour, for the 2018 event, and it shall not be amended, altered, or changed except by a written agreement signed by the parties.
4745 SE Desoto Ave
Stuart, FL 34997